CARETAKER COUPLES – 2019/2020 WET SEASON
With temporary positions available during the wet season (1 December to 31 March) available at Van Rook Station, Stirling Station, Lotus Vale Outstation, Dorunda Station and Inkerman Station – all of which are adjoining (Van Rook Station is in the centre and is located approx. 135km north east of Normanton & Karumba in the Northern Queensland Gulf), the role would involve being present at the station and ensuring the upkeep and continual functioning of the station complex.
These are temporary positions caretaking (from 2 weeks up to 4 weeks per station or outstation) while the permanent staff and their families who live at the station are away on holiday.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Daily feeding & checking to ensure the welfare of any station pets or animals (pet dogs, chooks, the odd dairy cow & calf),
- Mowing the lawn at least once a week & ensuring the station complex is kept clean, tidy & secure at all times (including tending/weeding/pruning any herb or garden beds).
- Ensuring the station airstrip is slashed with the tractor (when weather permits).
- Reporting any rainfall each morning by email.
- Ensuring the generator kicks in and the cool room is kept running if there is any loss of power (& for stations & outstations that are not on mains power, regular servicing of the generator that supplies the power to the station/outstation).
- Each Friday sending through the strip report (by phone or email) for the mail plane service to land and deliver the weekly mail.
- Current first aid certificate.
- Current driver’s license and ability to drive a manual vehicle.
- Must love and have had experience looking after pets & animals.
- Basic mechanical knowledge (especially for pumps, a ride-on mower, ATV, tractor, slasher, generator, cold-room & a/c condensers).
- Knowledge and previous experience in operating a tractor and a slasher.
- Must be clean, neat, trustworthy and of sober habits.
Preferable but not essential
- Rural background or previous experience living and/or working on a station or in a similar type remote location.
- Knowledge and experience in off-road driving for better understanding of local road conditions.
- Knowledge and interest in gardening.
- Previous caretaking experience.
For safety reasons, caretakers must be a couple (not a single person) and each must be used to or be prepared to stay on the station or outstation where there is no (or very limited) road access during the wet season for the duration of the caretaking period (caretakers are generally flown in and out of the station when arriving and departing).
Couples must also be prepared and very aware of the potential threat of flooding and cyclones on the stations during the wet season with limited access to assistance or basic services and the need to prepare the station for these events should the need arise.
This is a great role/experience for a couple who enjoy tranquillity and solitude and who are interested in a paid holiday to get away from it all for a couple of weeks and experience life on a remote cattle station during the spectacular wet season of the North of Australia with it’s dramatic tropical storms, heavy monsoonal rainfall and abundant birdlife and wildlife.
Because we only want the very best people on our stations, for this temporary role we are offering great pay and very comfortable accommodation, lush manicured station grounds, dedicated staff phone with unlimited free calls, full channel Foxtel, free high-speed WiFi and access to great quality food – honestly the best conditions you will find anywhere on a remote cattle station in the North of Australia!
Start Date: Specific dates from 2-4 weeks between 1st December 2019 and 31st March 2020
Apply now >