EXPERIENCED STOCKPERSONS – 2020 Season
With positions available at Van Rook Station, Stirling Station and Inkerman Station – all of which are adjoining (Van Rook Station is in the centre and is located approx. 135km north east of Normanton & Karumba in the Northern Queensland Gulf), the role would involve working in the stock camp and being based at the main station complexes. These are positions for mature and highly capable persons who have loads of energy, good physical fitness and a minimum of 1 years experience working in a stock camp on a cattle station.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Mustering paddocks, drafting and operating yards, processing weaners, walking cattle, loading and unloading of trucks and road trains, fencing repairs, running supplement feeding etc – at the direction of the Head Stockman.
- Ensuring mustering equipment (including tack, bikes, buggies, vehicles etc) is regularly kept clean, maintained and serviced by the station mechanic.
- Ensuring the safety of all persons in the stock camp at all times.
- Ensuring the highest standards of welfare for all livestock on the station.
- Assisting persons in the stock camp, ensuring best-practice techniques at all times.
- Minimum 1-2 years experience as a stockman on a cattle station.
- Current driver’s license and ability to drive a manual vehicle.
- Understanding of the highest standards of animal welfare and low-stress stock handling techniques (further training will be provided).
- Excellent horsemanship skills.
- Excellent motorbike skills.
- Must be able to work on their own, unsupervised but in a supportive team environment.
- Must show initiative with the ability to finish tasks.
- Practical thinking and good problem solving skills.
- Must be hardworking, energetic and have a sense of humour!
Preferable but not essential
- Rural background.
- HC License.
Because we only want the very best people on our stations, we offer excellent industry-leading wages and very comfortable accommodation (all stockperson accommodation is single room with en-suite bathroom), lush manicured station grounds, dedicated staff phone with unlimited free calls, full-channel Foxtel, high-speed WiFi and seriously good cooked meals – honestly the best you will find anywhere on a station in the North of Australia!
This is a great opportunity for someone to have the experience of a lifetime working with a fantastic team of fun, genuine people on one of Australia’s largest cattle stations in some of the more interesting scenery of the Outback with excellent fishing & camping opportunities on days off.
Additional stockmanship and horsemanship training provided annually, along with other training opportunities to support and promote career development.
Start Date: April 2020
Apply now >