HEAD STOCKPERSON, STIRLING STATION – 2020 Season
Based at Stirling Station (approx. 122km north east of the towns of Normanton & Karumba in the Northern Queensland Gulf), the role would involve being responsible for managing a stockcamp of approx. 8 people and other duties to support the Station Manager. Must be available each year for the dry season (from April through to December). This is a senior station position for a mature and highly capable younger person that can handle a high level of responsibility.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assisting the Station Manager in carrying out the mustering program for young sale cattle and the company’s brahman stud.
- Managing a stockcamp of 8 in their various duties from mustering paddocks, drafting and operating yards, processing weaners, loading and unloading of trucks and road trains, fencing repairs, running supplement feeding etc – at the direction of the Station Manager.
- Managing the inventory of cattle husbandry supplies.
- Ensuring mustering equipment (including tack, bikes, buggies, vehicles etc) is regularly kept clean, maintained and serviced by the station mechanic.
- Ensuring the safety of all persons in the stockcamp at all times.
- Ensuring the highest standards of welfare for all livestock on the station.
- Mentoring of persons in the stockcamp, ensuring best-practice techniques at all times.
- Current driver’s license and ability to drive a manual vehicle.
- QLD AB Firearms Licence (or ability to obtain one).
- Extensive experience working with cattle, understanding of the highest standards of animal welfare and low-stress stock handling techniques (further training will be provided).
- Excellent horsemanship skills.
- Demonstrated leadership with good communication and people management skills.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Must be hardworking, energetic and have a sense of humour!
Preferable but not essential
- Minimum 4 years experience as a stockman.
- Rural background.
- HC Licence.
Because we only want the very best people on our stations, we offer excellent industry leading wages and a newly renovated 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom cottage, lush manicured station grounds, high-speed WiFi, dedicated staff phone with unlimited free calls, full channel Foxtel and seriously good cooked meals – honestly the best you will find anywhere on a station in the North of Australia!
This is a great opportunity for someone to have the experience of a lifetime working with a fantastic team of fun, genuine people on a busy well-managed cattle station in some of the more interesting scenery of the Outback with excellent fishing & camping opportunities on days off.
Additional stockmanship and horsemanship training provided annually, along with other training opportunities to support and promote career development.
Start date: March/April 2020
Apply now >