HEAD STOCKPERSON, VAN ROOK STATION – 2020 Season
Based at Van Rook Station (approx. 135km north of Normanton & Karumba in the Northern Queensland Gulf), the role would involve being responsible for managing a stockcamp of approx. 8 people and other duties to support the Station Manager. Must be available each year for the dry season (from April through to December). This is a senior station position for a mature and highly capable person that can handle a high level of responsibility.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assisting the Station Manager in carrying out the mustering program for the station’s brahman breeder herd.
- Managing the stockcamp in their various duties from mustering paddocks, drafting and operating yards, walking away cattle, loading and unloading of trucks and road trains, fencing repairs, running supplement feeding, assisting with waters etc – at the direction of the Station Manager.
- Managing the inventory of cattle husbandry supplies.
- Ensuring mustering equipment (including tack, bikes, buggies, vehicles etc) is regularly kept clean, maintained and serviced by the station mechanic.
- Ensuring the safety of all persons in the stockcamp at all times.
- Ensuring the highest standards of welfare for all livestock on the station.
- Mentoring of persons in the stockcamp, ensuring best-practice techniques at all times.
- QLD AB Firearms Licence (or ability to obtain one).
- Extensive experience working with cattle, understanding of the highest standards of animal welfare and low-stress stock handling techniques (further training will be provided).
- Excellent horsemanship skills.
- Demonstrated leadership with good communication and people management skills.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Must be hardworking, energetic and have a sense of humour!
Preferable but not essential
- Minimum 4 years experience as a stockman.
- Previous experience in a Head Stockman role.
- Rural background.
- HC Licence.
Because we only want the very best people on our stations, we offer excellent industry-leading wages and a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house, lush manicured station grounds, high-speed WiFi, dedicated staff phone with unlimited free calls, full channel Foxtel and seriously good cooked meals – honestly the best you will find anywhere on a station in the North of Australia!
This is a great opportunity for someone to have the experience of a lifetime working with a fantastic team of fun, genuine people on a busy well-managed cattle station in some of the more interesting scenery of the Outback with excellent fishing & camping opportunities on days off.
Additional stockmanship and horsemanship training provided annually, along with other training opportunities to support and promote career development.
Start date: April 2020
Apply now >