STATION CHEF, STIRLING STATION
Based at Stirling Station (approx. 122km north east of the tourist town of Karumba in the Northern Queensland Gulf), the role would involve preparing 4 meals a day (3 hot & 1 cold) for a permanent staff of around 12-15 people, working 5-6 days a week (Monday to Friday/Saturday with most Sundays/weekends off). This is a key position on the station that would suit a mature person with restaurant or commercial kitchen training.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Preparing 4 meals a day for station staff: cooked breakfast, smoko (morning tea), supplies for sandwiches/wraps at lunch (staff make their own lunch) and cooked dinner – all served in the station kitchen at regular set meal times.
- Managing & calculating par-stocks for fortnightly ordering of food supplies including fresh produce & stores for Stirling.
- Assisting with butchering, dry-aging & cryovacing of fresh meat.
- Managing an inventory of fresh produce and station stores.
- Ensuring the highest standards of food safety and hygiene.
- At least 2 years experience cooking on a cattle station or in a commercial or restaurant kitchen.
- Being the face that greets everyone each working day, it is essential that you are a naturally happy, even-tempered person with lots of enthusiasm & a sense of humour!!!!
- Must be passionate about cooking and serving delicious & highly nutritious food.
- Understanding of food hygiene and safe storage of refrigerated foods.
- Highly organised and able to plan meals well in advance.
- Ability to be creative and resourceful to eliminate any food wastage.
- A desire to minimise the use of processed foods and prepare various foods from scratch using high quality raw and fresh ingredients.
- Must be neat, take pride in your appearance and be able to run a clean & tidy kitchen.
- Ability to work alone and unsupervised as a key and genuinely appreciated member of the team.
- Must be available from early April to mid-December (or until the wet season arrives).
Preferable but not essential
- Rural background.
- Understanding of healthy nutrition / dietary requirements.
- Basic butchery skills.
- Basic knowledge of Keto or gluten & sugar-free cooking.
As the hub of our station, our renovated station kitchen is light and bright with commercial kitchen equipment. We have a set station menu to ensure a highly nutritious diet, utilising the best available fresh seasonal produce (including the abundant station beef and seafood of the region). The set menu features dishes and meals that we know our staff love, and using equipment such as our outdoor wood-fired pizza oven and wood-fired smoker.
Because we only want the very best people on our stations, we offer excellent wages and very comfortable near-new accommodation (single room with en-suite bathroom), lush manicured station grounds, full channel Foxtel, dedicated staff phone with unlimited free calls and free high-speed WiFi.
This is a great opportunity for someone to have the experience of a lifetime working with a fantastic team of fun, genuine people on one of Australia’s largest cattle stations in some of the more interesting scenery of the Outback with excellent fishing & camping opportunities on days off.
Apply now >